Saturday, January 16, 2010

Project in Goma


Sara Rich, a good friend of mine here in Congo is planning a little something different for her life next year.  Sara is a middle school teacher at TASOK who has lived in Congo for the last three years and she has the privilege of being my next door neighbor!  Over fall break back in October while the rest of the teachers were off gallavanting in Zambia, Sara, the brave soul that she is, boarded a Congolese airline (about the scariest thing you can do in your life!) and went out to Goma in the east of DRC.  TASOK's Grade 5 conducted a Congo awareness campaign this fall and raised funds for an organization called HEAL Africa. HEAL Africa has an office in Goma and so Sara decided she would stop by for a visit on her trip. Little did she know that this would change so much...

After seeing and experiecing the extreme need in Goma, Sara decided that next year she would like to volunteer in Goma. Since Sara can probably describe her planned project better than I can I have copied some information from her website:
There are many educational issues that Goma faces, as does any city in the world. But one general need that I've identified is that solutions don't simply revolve around filling up building with kids and teachers. Problem solving must then be extended to incorporate community based and responsive solutions. Local solutions for local problems to ensure that the education offered in schools is relevant, effective, and student centered.
It is important to me that throughout this process of researching and working in schools that I am able to continue teaching in some fashion. There are a variety of options, including teacher training or teaching English. I highly value seeing school reform through the lens of a teacher, so it's critical that I continue to be an active participant in my profession.
Because a community based project lends itself to unpredictability and since at this point I have yet to fully understand the community's vision for their schools it's important that the project maintain a sense of flexibility. With that said, I hope that at the end of this volunteer experience, I'll be able to connect international educators with educators based in Goma, creating professional relationships and opportunities for discussion on how to create a high quality education.
Over Spring break I will be going with Sara back to Goma to continue exploring the area and assisting her to lay the foundation for her volunteer work in the fall.  There is one school (the Mugunga school) in particular that HEAL Africa works with which serves a refugee camp about 15 minutes outside of Goma.  This school is where Sara would like to begin her work with the teachers.  The school has over 300 students, grades KG-6 and 7 teachers.  Most of the students are Rwandan refugees or internally displaced Congolese.  I am excited to be able to help support Sara as she prepares for her volunteer work and see firsthand part of eastern DRC. 

Sara is an amazing woman, with determination, desire and the skills to suceed in making a difference in the lives of so many people in Congo.  Her project is innovative and needed and I am so happy to be able to let people now about her vision. 

I would like to encourage anyone reading this to please visit Sara's website and see if this is a project that you would be willing to support through prayer, financial resources or maybe even taking a trip yourself!  Because Sara has developed this project independently she is working alone to raise all of the funds needed for at least one year.  Please consider helping Sara!

Sara's website: http://web.me.com/sara.elizabeth.rich/Goma/Home.html
HEAL Africa's website: http://www.healafrica.org/cms/
An article about Sara in her home paper: http://www.alextimes.com/news/2010/jan/07/this-is-where-i-want-to-be/


If you would like more information do not hesitate to email me: amandamaust@gmail.com

I will be writing more about this project as details firm up and especially after I go to Goma.  Thanks already for your support!

No comments: