Following only a bit of an adventure I safely arrived in Kinshasa Saturday night along with 7 other new TASOK employees. Several of us found each other en route and were together comforted as we waited in an endless security line in Paris not sure if we would catch our flight. We made the flight “just in time” only to be greeted with a delayed flight and an additional hour or two sitting on the tarmac. However, it was a great trip and I and my bags arrived safely.
Our group of new employees have been busy with an orientation to both campus life and Kinshasa. I have been set up in a cute apartment not even a five minute walk from my office at the school complete with a large screened in porch perfect for escape from the black flies. The TASOK campus is nestled on 42 acres close to downtown Kinshasa. Faculty/staff housing and the school (classrooms, tennis courts, swimming pool, soccer field etc.) are all enclosed on campus by a large wall topped with wire. And I am told is one of the safest, if not THE safest place to be in Kinshasa.
“Sticker shock” as Irene (the Superintendent) says hit the group yesterday as we explored the city in search of household supplies and groceries. For example, a box of cereal here in Congo costs about 12000 francs or $17!! Soy sauce runs for about $15 and a 24 pack of toilet paper is about $20...guess I’m living on rice! My settling in allowance isn’t looking as big as I thought it was back in the States...
I know that this is going to be just a fantastic year here. I can already feel a sense of community among the teachers on campus and am eager to have the others teachers and students return from summer holiday. Adam and Sarah compare life here in Congo to that on the farm so I have quite high expectations.
4 comments:
Yayyy!! Welcome to TASOK!
Congrats on a safe trip!
We in STL are thinking of you. I look forward to following your adventures-like finding substitutes for cereal apparently!
Grace and peace,
Samuel
Thanks for bringing the old amandamaust blog back from the dead. I look forward to reading about all your adventures. And maybe even some pictures too??
We sure miss you here at Grace Hill-glad you made it safely! Susan
Post a Comment