I know that it has been an insanely long time since I last wrote on my blog, but this is mostly because our VS unit has been keeping another blog up to date every week and I don't find my life that interesting to have much more to say than what we have on that blog. If you would like to hear about what is going on in my life please visit:
stlouismvs.blogspot.com
All that said I will write a little for probably the last time in awhile on this blog, so please do check the site above in the future.
Spring has finally arrived in St. Louis, the trees are flowering and daffodils blooming, I love this season. With each new season I feel refreshed and always ready for the change, it's almost as if my personality is right on board and also ready for a new mood and outlook on life. The beauty of nature has not been able to bring all peace and goodness as St. Louis has had a rather socially gloomy past week. We heard news on Tuesday that La Clinica's mailman had been shot in the head and back just two blocks from La Clinica in the middle of the afternoon. I scanned the headlines on Tuesday only to find that two more drivebys had occurred in the north city. I do not feel unsafe here, but I feel so sad. Sad for the lives of the injured and sad for the offenders. What must people be feeling to come to such a means of dealing with their problems. This evening we took a walk around our neighborhood and we passed a young man holding something in the pocket of his sweatshirt. Without trying to look at him closely, it was still hard to fail to notice the imprint of a gun in his front pocket. Out on a nice spring day, in a relatively nice neighborhood with his handy gun... Is the changing of seasons bleak and unrelenting for so many others here in St. Louis?? I am reminded daily of how fortunate I am to have the love and support of a wonderful family, dedicated and caring friends, work that gives to the less fortunate and a church standing by my side, but I feel so unworthy too. Was it privilege of birth that brought me to where I am today? There is so much to be done in St. Louis, so many places to work, people to give to, systems to change and not enough energy or motivators to spark the movement. Are we as Mennonites working enough in the cities and communities we live in? Are we giving of not only our money but our love, work and devotion to the causes we say we believe in and support? I don't know.
On a bit of a lighter note, we have started rehearsing for the mini-musical of Godspell. Tiffany is heading up direction, is beyond organized and has everyone motivated to put on quite the show. La Clinica is planning a blood drive and diabetes health fair for this Saturday and I am hoping for some nice Spring weather, but I fear rain is in the forecast. Although perhaps that will drive more people indoors to La Clinica. That's all for now, please do check out our VS blog and post comments, we love comments!
No comments:
Post a Comment