Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cockroach delight


I really did think I would blog in South Africa.  And I promise I had good intentions, but it just didn't happen.  Pictures will be posted on facebook and that is a guarantee.

I'm back in Kinshasa now and so happy to be home.  One way to tell you really are in Africa is when the plane touches down on the runway and everyone in the plane begins to clap.  The first time I experienced this I thought the people were crazy, but I admit that now I too find myself wanting to join the clapping in thanks for a safe arrival.  No one really clapped when we reached JoBurg or Cape Town.  While South Africa is an amazing vacation spot I found myself feeling like I just wasn't really in Africa at all.  I guess that really isn't a bad thing at all...

I had the most wonderful sibling vacation and didn't want it to end!  What a privilege it was to be able to spend three weeks hanging out with family and enjoying Cape Town together.  Some of the highlights included:
  • Seeing a colony of  african penguins
  • Touring Robben Island and not throwing up on the boat ride over!
  • Touring the prison on Robben Island with a guide who was an ex-prisoner who had spent 11 years in the prison 
  • Shuttling up Table Mountain and taking in a gorgeous sunset
  • Visiting several townships and learning about apartheid past and present
  • Eating broccoli at almost every meal
  • Watching the Indian and Atlantic Oceans meet at Cape Point (well, I can pretend in my head that there is a clear line...but really there wasn't)
  • Spending time with Annika and Katie
  • Failing at making mozzarella cheese
  • Watching my niece-to-be flutter around in her mama's belly
And now it's back to cockroach delight.  My apartment felt like a sauna when I opened the door on Saturday afternoon.  I ran to quick turn on some AC and survey the ant and cockroach damage in the kitchen.  Not too bad considering I was gone for three weeks but enough to make me annoyed and throw out some cornmeal, sugar and flour that had been double bagged!  Those critters sure are persistent in their quest for food.

School started up today and the big highlight was that December mail was finally released from the airport strike and I actually got some!  Thanks to everyone for sending me mail, you are seriously amazing!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amanda-So happy you are safe and sound at home! Thanks so much for caring for Annika and Katie. They are flying now and will arrive from South Africa tomorrow morning. I think I will clap when their plane arrives safely! I'm glad you enjoyed your niece-to-be. We are thankful that you are there to help with her!